Saturday, July 6, 2013

REVIEW: Something Borrowed- By Emily Giffin

Two Words: SCANDALOUSLY AWESOME ! (Yes, that is a word.) Another home run in the book department. "Something Borrowed," took you on an adventure of a lifetime. Something you would probably only read about in books or see in movies, ironically. Which, in this case makes the book that much more enjoyable. This book was all about escaping for me and reflecting on my own life and relationships. 

Unfortunately for me, I had a very similar friendship that Rachel and Darcy had. By no means as scandalous but equal in that I was Rachel in the friendship, pre high school and college. To make a long story short my friendship was all about one-upping and since I didn't always have the means to one- up, I was always her shadow. I was the one always appeasing and watching in the background and being the one to sacrifice or be second best. Nothing feels worst. 

 I apologize for getting personal but it was somewhat scary how similar my friendship was to the book. Rachel and Darcy were close by fault because they were always battling and competing with one another even if they didn't want to admit it. Rachel was the one who was getting lost in the shuffle, always feeling like the good one with no reward. Darcy was the snob, the brat who had everything and got everything flawlessly. The friendship was a ticking time bomb. No one could keep up a fake facade forever, especially with someone as difficult as Darcy. 

However, with a twist of fate, Darcy's fiancee Dex falls in love with Rachel leaving her to contemplate her life and where she wants to be and what will happen when she loses either the love of her life or her life long friend. At first I was so against this kind of cheating and fooling around, but you grow to love the Rachel and Dex relationship, even how messed up it really is. You come to root for the seemingly wrong side when a whole load of jaw dropping truths come spilling out of the devils mouth herself. The most bittersweet ending you will read. 

There is a sequel to this story that I will most definitely be getting my hands on. I would love to see where this story goes next and I'm pretty sure you all are too! 

** Reminder: "The Fault In Our Stars," By John Green, is the next read. Get excited and start reading!** 

No comments:

Post a Comment