Wednesday, June 19, 2013

REVIEW: Sundays at Tiffany's- By James Patterson

Ladies and Gents,

Here is another review for your enjoyment. Sundays at Tiffany's had been suggested to me a number of times. I saw it all over and for some reason I just never gave it a chance. But when my mom came home from work with it, I felt the time was finally right to see for myself.

This book is largely an adult fiction novel. This genre is not something I frequent often. I find it repressive to abandon my beloved teen fiction just because I am 21 and considered a legal adult. But I regress...

Patterson is a best selling author and immediately... and I mean IMMEDIATELY I could see why. I can remember reading just a page or so and felt instant love for Patterson. His writing style, diction, vernacular and charm was seeping through EVERY single page. I am highly complimenting Patterson. I think he has a one of a kind style and ability to capture a reader, something that in my opinion, takes years to develop if not something inherently part of someone.

Set in New York City, with no particular era known, Jane Margaux is an eight year old girl with an imaginary friend named Michael. Her single but famous mother Vivienne is much too pre-occupied with finding new husbands and her latest productions.

 Michael was sent to her because that is what happens in this reality when there is a child in need. However, Michael can only stay with Jane until she is nine and the day that she turned nine Michael had to leave her but told Jane she would never remember him because that is just what happens. Unfortunately, they both never forget each other and Jane grows up thinking about Michael everyday.

One day, in between missions, Michael spots grown up Jane. However, that is never supposed to happen. He feels compelled to follow her and eventually Jane spots Michael forcing them to reconnect.
Something that thew me off up to this point was that Michael with Jane as a child was invisible, like most imaginary friends are, however when Jane sees Michael all grown up, she actually sees him and so does everyone else in the world. This issue was not really properly addressed and something I think was major to the story. It was brought up that Michael felt he was becoming more human but there was not much mention after that nor did Jane discuss it with Michael. That seems like something I would want to know about but anyways...

Michael and Jane fall in love and catch up on each others lives. Jane still has her mother breathing down her neck but eventually cracks and leaves the family business. Jane and Michael fly away together and here starts the most passionate part of the story. So real, so raw and so vivid... I know I wanted to be Jane.

However, Michael still does not understand his purpose and why all things that shouldn't be happening are. His theories led him to leave Jane in the middle of the night only to be guided to a hospital back in NY where he feels his answers lie...

This story creates the most fairy tale happy ending, I was smiling from ear to ear. The plot twist was unexpected and was exactly what the story needed to make it memorable. If you love a happy ending then you will most definitely love Sundays at Tiffany's. I love everything about Patterson's ability to write so much in such short chapters. I think he found the key to creating a can't-put-down- novel. Without a doubt this is a book lovers gold mine.

** As a quick update I will be reading and reviewing next - THE CASTAWAYS By: Elin Hilderbrand**
JOIN ME!

No comments:

Post a Comment