Friday, July 29, 2016

*DUEL REVIEW* My Library Finds (Danielle Steel and Jodi Picoult)

Hey! I'm trying something new with this post today and for very good reasons. As I alluded to in my last post, I got inspired to go to the library and see if I could find some great reads. Fortunately, I did ! I found two promising books and they really delivered but the timing was not the best. I found the books less than two weeks before I was going on vacation and as you may know you have to return library books and I wasn't about to bring them on vacation. However, my due date happened to be the day before I went away so I went on a binge trying to finish reading both books. On the day before they were due I stayed up into the night to finish but it was all worth it because I really couldn't put down "Leaving Time" by Jodi Picoult.

Since I finished both books a day before I went away, I didn't have time to write the reviews right away as I normally like to. My bright idea was to write both reviews in one post. Hopefully it works out okay.

The first book I found was the first book I started reading. That lovely book was "Property of a Noblewoman." I've read Danielle Steel books before and was really pleasantly surprised so I was hoping for a similar outcome. I found tons of her books at the library and I narrowed them down by reading the inside covers to see which one sounded the most interesting. Sadly, this is how I pick books most of the time if I'm not just picking up the first one's whose cover looks the prettiest. I was really impressed with this book. Danielle Steel cranks out books like nothing. I don't know how she does it, but I'm sure glad she does.

"Property of a Noblewoman" was created with history, nostalgia and charm. It all started with an abandoned safe- deposit box that contained old post WWII pictures and exquisite jewelry with no rightful heir. Jane and Philip were assigned by chance to handle the estate. Little did they know that their assignment would be a stroke of fate. After learning more about the woman who left behind the jewelry, Philip's mother realizes that this woman could be her older sister that mysteriously died when she was very young. The adventure unfolds trying to find out if Philip's mom is the right ful heir or is their an even bigger surprise waiting for them.

The journey that this books unfolds is really remarkable. It created suspense and thrill and the plot twists don't disappoint. It reminds you that you are never too old to change your life and to find out who you really are. It was inspirational to see a 70 year old woman try to find herself even when everyone thought she should just let her family secrets rest. It's not everyday that you get a second chance at life. Danielle Steel created a timeless story with exceptional storytelling ability. I 'll have to browse the shelves to find more of her hidden gems.



Lastly, the second book was "Leaving Time" by Jodi Picoult. I love Jodi's books. I have read and reviewed other books of hers on the blog before. And I remember being at the library and scanning the shelves and nothing was catching my eye until I saw "Leaving Time." Initially I wasn't going to take it because I wanted to read a different author but as time dragged on I kept coming back to Jodi's book and I knew I really couldn't go wrong.

Hold the phone, stop what you are doing and run don't walk to get this book. "Leaving Time" left me with my jaw dragging on the floor. I almost couldn't comprehend what I was ready because that plot twist was on fire. "Leaving Time" had one of the the best plot twists of all time or at least one that I have ever read.

Jenna doesn't really remember mother, she just remembers moments and then sometimes she's not sure they really happened because she was only three when her mother disappeared. The only thing she really has are her mother's old journals as an elephant scientist. Jenna believes her mother wouldn't abandoned her but she doesn't know where she is or why she left her to live with her grandmother.

Jenna enlists the help of Serenity, a washed up psychic, who doubts her once very valuable gifts and Virgil,  alcoholic private investigator. The three of them create the most unlikely friendship as they try to uncover what happened the night her mom disappeared. Her dad, who was there at the elephant sanctuary the night of the accident, is no help since he is in an insane asylum and is even a threat to himself. Jenna doesn't ever give up hope and right as she is about to conclude the story, Jodi turns the story upside and swirls it all around. This is the part where the book turns into the sixth sense. Jenna is dead, Virgil is dead and Serenity's psychic powers are alive and well. Serenity's job was to help Jenna and Virgil spirits find their way to the other side because their souls never crossed over due to unfinished business in the real world.

To say I was shocked would be an understatement. The whole time reading the book I thought I had it all figured out. I was really rooting for her to find her mother or at least find some closure but what I found was so beyond unexpected. Jodi created a book that was much more than a powerful story about what happens to souls and the journeys in life that we never want to give up on. But it also provides amazing insight into the life of elephants. There was so much I learned about elephants in the wild or in sanctuary's that I'm not sure I will ever look at an elephant the same again. This book was riveting from beginning to end. I was blown away and it's not every day a book can do that to you.

I think you get the gist now that the books out did themselves. The library journey was a success and proves that the libraries still hold that old school charm.

No comments:

Post a Comment