Thursday, June 26, 2014

REVIEW: "13 Reasons Why"- BY: Jay Asher


As I promised, here is another book review!

For "13 Reasons Why," I had fairly high expectations going into it. I had heard from a friend that it was so good and had always meant to borrow it, but never did. So when I got my new Nook from my boyfriend, I wanted to load it up with good books for myself and for the blog. One of the suggestions was this book and I felt why not!

To give a quick overview of this already popular book, it is about Hannah Baker,suicidal girl in high school who recorded and mailed out the tapes of her talking to each of the 13 people that caused her to get to this hopeless place. However, the narrator of this story, Clay Jensen, is one of those unfortunate souls that caused Hannah to kill herself. Clay had a crush on Hannah ever since she transferred to his school, but never had the courage to truly talk to her or start a relationship because of the unfortunate events that created Hannah's harsh reputation. Clay happened to be the ninth person on Hannah's list and he struggles with every story that passes and wishes he could have done so much more and realized that Hannah was so lost.
We follow Clay on the recorded journey that Hannah takes you with the map she left for those select few to follow to the places where these events happened.

My initial reactions to this book even from the very beginning was confused. I never got a good connection to this book. Maybe I am to blame for that one because my reading habits became a bit sporadic, but there was something almost too cliche that it made me build a wall from really sinking deep into the pages.
To be perfectly honest, I don't see the real hype for this book. I can definitely appreciate the messages behind the story and for that I think it is brilliant. It is a good lesson in learning that every decisions you make can effect someones life. It definitely made me more self aware.
However, I don't think the writing was all that fantastic. And maybe it is just me who feels that the writing style greatly affects my opinion of the book, but I definitely can see how this would affect my connection to this book.

I wouldn't say that this book was terrible by any means. I love the concept, even though it might be about something as morbid as suicide. But anything that can teach a lesson and make you think and intrigue you learn more about what is going on in someone's head who has decided to kill herself. I love reading about the inner workings and most personal thoughts in someones mind. That whole concept intrigued me from the very beginning but I just felt that the writing style throughout the book was very obvious and just not as deep as to what I expected.

Either way, I hear this book is going to be a movie and for that I think it is worth a read.
Let me know what you thought of this book or any other books you might want me to read next !


No comments:

Post a Comment