Wednesday, January 8, 2014

REVIEW: So Happy Together- By Maryann McFadden



"So Happy Together," was a pleasant surprise. As you could probably guess by the length of time it took me to write a new post, it took me a while to truly commit to the book. I was hesitant at first because I was afraid the book was going to be a let down. I truly hate starting a book and getting part way through and just hating every second of it. I don't like to spoil my love of books and reading. I am also nearing the end of my winter break and I was afraid that I would have spent my whole winter break without reading and missing the opportunity, so I reluctantly dove into the book and let the chips fall where they may. 

To reiterate, I was pleasantly surprised by how the book made me feel. I was expecting the book to be a bit more mature for my liking but I think it was the perfect book for me and my life at this moment. "So Happy Together" made you feel very introspective. The whole time you were on a wave with the whole family as they were trying to maneuver through their broken lives. In truth, the book is a great reflection of an average American life. You grow up and go through trials and tribulations that make you realize that maybe your parents were right all along and you should have listened to them because then maybe you wouldn't be so stuck in your life. As you get older, you also learn  more about your parents then you could have imagined and learn that maybe you will never really know someone all that well, even if you have lived with them all your life... These are just some of the themes that play out in "So Happy Together." It is a book that helps you to realize that being selfish is okay and following your dreams could lead to bigger and better things that you didn't know you wanted. And most importantly to follow your heart above all else because your heart knows you best. 

Throughout the book I found myself reflecting on my life. This book was a great read for me at this time in my life because I am at a precipice of my college education. I'm graduating in May and hoping beyond all hope that my dreams after college come true. It is not always easy to put your self first and change your life because it is what you want more than anything, but it is what is meant to be. You can't think about the moments you missed, you can only try to save yourself from missing the moments that are to come and hope that you will be present and ready to accept the opportunities that come your way. I hope that my future holds nothing but happy days and love in my heart and that it always be book bound. 

No comments:

Post a Comment