Wednesday, January 15, 2014

REVIEW: The Hobbit - By J.R.R Tolkien

** Before I write a review for "The Hobbit," I want to fill everyone in on the latest that has happend in my book life. Recently, my boyfriend told me that he wanted to watch "The Hobbit." At first, I was hesitant because I always had this idea in my mind that "The Lord of The Rings" was only for nerds and it was the most boring movie that would make me want to claw my eyes out. However, "The Hobbit" was a tad more inciting and with much pestering and  persuading, I caved a watched the first part of "The Hobbit" movie. Even though it was a 3 hour movie, I really loved the adventure story line and felt that it was exactly what I was looking for in my next book. After going to the theaters and watching the second Hobbit movie, it would be safe to say that me and my boyfriend became hooked on the series. It was all we could think and talk about. My boyfriend being the impulsive buyer, bought the set of books that contained "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings." He also bought all of the LOTR movies on blue ray that has extended versions and bonus material. Yes, we nerded out quite a bit. SO these next few blog posts will be sponsored and dedicated to my boyfriend Chris who supports me no matter what.**
"The Hobbit" which is largely an adventure book does not fail to deliver. Again, as a side note, I had some reservations going into the book because I was afraid it was going to be dry and filled with complex jargon and content that would go straight over my head and I would be lost. Nothing makes me more mad when reading when I get so lost and confused that I have no understanding of what I have just read that the book loses all meaning. I entered the book with caution both in the speed of how I read and the focus. I wanted to make sure that I could remember and understanding everything that is true about the book and not just what the movies portray. 

"The Hobbit" is truly a transport book, which is my way of saying a book that brings you out of reality and into a different time and place within the book. Transport books are not only my favorite kinds of books but the main reason I love reading. The main character is Bilbo Baggins, the hobbit. He is recruited by Gandalf The Great, the wizard, who wants him to be the burglar in the adventure with the dwarves who want to reclaim their home under the mountain that Smag, the dragon who destroyed their home and is residing it in. Smaug loves gold and treasure which brought him to destroy their home and claim it as his home. Throrin, the next king after his father and grandfather had died under Smaug, is leading the pack back to their home. I hope that I haven't lost any of you yet. I do find it quite difficult to truly translate this complex book. I won't try to tackle the complexities but I would like to get across the epic adventure tale that "The Hobbit" encompasses. Even though I have seen the first two movies, I was still very enthralled in the book.

Bilbo has the job of going into the mountain, where the dragon lives and retrieve some of the gold that belongs to the dwarves. When he gets there, he soon realizes that his job is more than just to retrieve some treasure, he will have to try to kill the dragon. But the dragon does not stay to be killed but rather to kill and goes off into the night sky. Before all this happened, Bilbo and the dwarves have to go through many lands and fight many battles to get to the mountain. It is with these adventures that truly bring out the magical world.

I found so many things that I love about this book. Not only because of the thrilling adventures but also because of the great narrating and story telling like it was written in a time that was of old. "The Hobbit" is an enchanting novel and I am so excited to start the LOTR trilogy. I recently just finished the movies and I am excited to see where the books transport me next.

** Stay tuned for the next part of the enchanting story.**

No comments:

Post a Comment